WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SILVER LAKE DAILY NEWSLETTER that was filled with daily news stories and used to attract hundreds of readers? Click on the ??? link for the story. CURRENT CONTACT INFORMATION: 585-483-8435; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Mail: G. Franklin, PO Box 19, Silver Lake NY 14549.
A family of four will not be able to return to its home on Halvorsen Road until repairs are made after a fire there Sunday morning, a Wyoming County emergency official said.
County Fire and EMS Coordinator Bill Streicher said the double-wide, manufactured home did not suffer a lot of damage, but utility and general repairs are needed. The fire happened at the home of Brandon Smith and Morgan Sommers and a boy and girl, he said. All four got out without injured, as did their dog, Streicher said. County 911 dispatchers got the call at 5:47 a.m.
“It started underneath the double-wide in a crawl space,” Streicher said. “The firemen were able to contain it to the area of origin. They had a hard time getting to it due to the fact there was a crawl space.”
Once firefighters got to the fire, it was extinguished pretty quickly. Smith also applied water to the fire before firefighters got there, Streicher said.
“Between the actions of the homeowner and the actions of the fire department, they were able to keep the damage to a minimum,” the fire and EMS coordinator said.
Firefighters and ambulance from Pike responded, as did firefighters from Bliss, Silver Springs, Castile and Fillmore. Centerville and Perry firefighters stood by in Pike and Castile, respectively, he said. Streicher’s office was at the scene as well, he said.
“The last unit was out of there in probably 2 1/2 hours. Right now, we’re labeling that accidental,” Streicher said.
The Red Cross was not called to assist the family of four, he said.
‘The family’s going to be staying with family members until they make appropriate repairs,” Streicher said.
Walker Road Fire in Perry
Another fire in Wyoming County took place Friday, causing significant damage to a home at 61 Walker Rd. in Perry, Streicher said.
Firefighters responded at 1:34 p.m. to the home, owned by Joey and Estella Safford. Sparks from a power tool ignited materials in a basket.
“The home was occupied by the owners, who will be staying with family members,” Streicher said in a press release. “Renovation work was being completed at the time of the fire.”
Responding to the scene were firefighters from Perry, Perry Center, Castile and Silver Springs. Perry EMS was at the scene, as were the Wyoming County Office of Emergency Services and Sheriff’s Office, and NYSEG. Firefighters from Mount Morris and Pike were on standby. Responders were on scene for about 2 1/2 hours.