Saturday, February 19, 2022

Garage Repair Shop Fire Ruled Accidental:

Two people treated for smoke inhalation after Varysburg fire


Two people in a repair garage suffered smoke inhalation and were treated at the scene today after a fire started in the garage, 2901 Route 98.

The garage, detached from a residence that was close by, was destroyed, as were items including an SUV, lawn mowers, repair shop items and motorcycles. The fire was contained to the 26-foot-by-26-foot garage, Wyoming County Fire/EMS Coordinator William Streicher said.

Streicher said one of the people in the garage was working on his own vehicle.

“He was working on the gas tank of the vehicle. Gasoline got spilled and was ignited by a portable propane heater, which caused the fire,” he said. “One was trapped inside for a short time, but managed to get out.”

Wyoming County Emergency Services and the Wyoming County Sheriff’s Department investigated the fire and determined it was accidental.

The two people were treated by Attica ambulance and released. Varysburg also had an ambulance on scene, but it left to respond to another call before returning, he said.

“We had to call mutual aid in because they were already tied up on other calls,” Streicher said.

Responding to the scene today were Varysburg, Attica, Warsaw, North Java and Sheldon. Attica, Strykersville and Arcade firefighters were on standby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Genuine commenting is warmly welcomed--Advertising is not welcome in the Comment Section and will be removed without further explanation.