Sunday, August 8, 2021

Health Advisory: 
harmful algae found in Conesus Lake

The Livingston County Department of Health released a health advisory Friday. Harmful algal blooms of blue green algae have recently been found in areas throughout Conesus Lake. High levels of the toxic algae were found in the lake that is considered unsafe to come in contact with. 

 Health officials say contact with the algae may result in some health issues such as itching, rashes, fever, headache, upper respiratory symptoms, vomiting and diarrhea. The health department advised public not to drink or use the lake water for cooking or swimming. It also stated not to come into direct contact with water that is discolored or has scums on the surface. 

 Pets should not be allowed to drink or to come in contact with discolored water. If contact occurs, wash with soap and clean water to remove algal material. It is also suggested to avoid contact with surface water when open cuts or wounds are present on the body. Livingston County officials stated the public water supply is safe for drinking.                                                             Courtesy of WHAM 13 Rochester

No comments:

Post a Comment