Tuesday, May 11, 2021


x
Malfunctioning A/C Led to Alarm:
Operations back to normal after fire investigation Tuesday at Glen Iris Inn

By MATT SURTEL msurtel@batavianews.com May 11, 2021

Courtesy Mark Gutman, Daily News

Business quickly returned to normal Tuesday after a fire investigation forced a brief evacuation at the historic Glen Iris Inn, at Letchworth State Park. Firefighters responded at 5:59 a.m. after a fire alarm activated with reports of smoke inside the building, Wyoming County Emergency Services officials said. Ten guest rooms were occupied at the time and evacuated.

The problem was found to be a malfunctioning air conditioner unit in a ceiling, officials said. Damages were estimated at $5,000. They were limited to the room of origin, with minor smoke damage observed in some areas of the building. Firefighters were at the scene for two hours. The guests returned to their rooms once the investigation had concluded. The business was open and returned to normal operations shortly afterward.

Units from Pike, Bliss, Castile, Gainesville, Perry, Fillmore and Wiscoy-Rossburg were called to the scene, with firefighters from Silver Springs and Centerville on standby. County Emergency Services personnel and state Park Police were also at the scene.

The Glen Iris Inn was built in 1828 and acquired by William Pryor Letchworth in 1859. It now serves as a popular place for lodging, dining and catered events.


No comments:

Post a Comment