Wednesday, July 24, 2019

New Summer Season Signs are Up;
Will Remain Up through Labor Day


In the very heart of the Institute community is Bishop Burt Park originally named Auditorium Park. The first building put up on the grounds was the Auditorium (often referred to as the Amphitheater) which was built in the Park opposite Ames Avenue in 1888 and destroyed by fire in 1918. Its location provided for a direct walking path from the main Auditorium to the second building to be built on the grounds which was the Hall of Philosophy (later named Epworth Inn) in 1889. 

In 1895, the third building put up on the grounds was Epworth Hall which was funded by the Epworth League and located on Ames Avenue which had already become the main street for worship and programming. Wesley Ave. was the main street for the business community with a bandstand at the foot of Wesley actually out in the water of Silver Lake and seating was just west of the railroad tracks.

The new Ames Walkway signs re-designate and renew Ames Avenue as a walking path from Epworth Hall to Burt Park and Stoody Hall. It remains a walking path from July 1 through the end of Labor Day weekend each year with parking limited to 15 minutes for pickups and drop-offs. After Labor Day, the walk shares the Avenue with residential parking for those not having enough room on their property for their cars until the following July 1. Questions can be referred to the Long Range Planning Committee (LRPC) -- rbcook05@hotmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment